Thursday, August 23, 2018

Book Challenge: Day 2

Image may contain: text




For my second book on my posting challenge, I shared Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. This novel was one I checked out multiple times as a teenager and was vastly different from the supernatural, romance, and apocalyptic titles that were assaulting the charts at the time. It introduced me to my favorite author and allowed me to see how voice and tone could be more interesting than plot.

However, that is not why I chose the book as one that impacted me. I'm a teacher (a fact that I don't always talk about) and no, not an elementary school teacher (although, shout out to them for doing the hardest job in the world). I teach English for ninth grade. At the end of the year last year, we were supposed to do a novel unit and someone randomly suggested to me to teach Speak. I jumped on the idea as it fulfilled my dream to be like the teacher in Dead Poet's Society!

And let me tell you, these kids- these regular, snotty, no book liking, kids loved it. I had kids who fussed with me all year reading the whole thing that weekend. I had kids who never paid attention laughing along with it. It was an awesome experience- not forcing a book on kids, but having them genuinely enjoy it.

The best part though is that I was able to discuss consent and gender roles with them. Despite it's funny nature, the book is, in fact, about a rape. And getting to talk to kids about what rape is and consent and how it looks in the real world (meaning that no, the creepy guy at the gas station is not the only way a rapist looks) was empowering. Many of these kids don't get that message and I felt like I was able to really put good in the universe and, hopefully, protect them from future choices.

So thank you Laurie Halse Anderson for giving me one of the best text to teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment